Listen to Your Baby’s Heart Beat in the Comfort of Your Own Home
The first kick, fetal heartbeat, and hiccups are quite precious for the parents and especially for the mother. She is waiting curiously for the day when she will feel her baby’s movement in her womb. Every day and night she experiences some changes, mood swings and growth of her baby in the womb.
Her every visit to the healthcare practitioner brings new joy and happiness in her life, as she gets to see her baby growing and hear his/her heartbeat. Sounds tantalizing, right?
But what if one wants to experience the same again at home or want her husband to experience the same joy if he was not able to make it for the parental check-up.
Fix an appointment with the gynecologist again? Well, no! There is a much better option that allows parents to experience their unborn first movement right in the comfort of their own home.
Wondering what it is? Well, it’s the baby Doppler about which we are talking here. It is a small system that allows pregnant mothers to experience their baby’s heartbeat, kicks, and other precious movements.
However, it is not a substitute for a parental check-up, but an easy way out to make you and your partner happy. With the host of Doppler’s available in the market, it often becomes difficult for the couples to determine which device is the best. This is where they need to play smart and pick the best one. Taking the advice of a gynecologist or friends who are parents and have used and experienced such a device, will help you in your search.
Once you have found the best Doppler and placed an order for it, you should also know the steps for examining your unborn heart rate movements.
Let us get started to understand the use of a Doppler –
Equipment that You May Need
- Heartbeat monitor
- Computer (for recording the heartbeat)
The Best Time to Examine the Movements
- In the morning -30 minutes after you wake up
- After lunch within one hour
- At night- 30 minutes before going to bed
Things to Prepare Before Use
- Plug in one or both the headphones (depending on whether a single person has to listen to the heartbeat or two people simultaneously, and how many headphones or earbuds does the Doppler accommodate).
- Apply gel on your abdomen and on the transducer.
- Switch on the gadget and set the volume of the device to high.
- Start the examination.
- Lie in an inclined position, and position the monitor on the abdomen.
- Move the Monitor’s transducer around on the abdomen and listen to the sound. Remember, the sound depends on the pregnancy cycle and the position of the baby.
- Make sure to place the angle of the monitor correctly on the abdomen in order to hear the sound properly.
Essential Tips to Keep in Mind
- Before starting the examination procedure, make sure you have had enough water so that your bladder is full.
- Remember, it is best to use the Doppler at about 16 weeks of pregnancy, as the baby has developed enough by that time, for the heartbeat to be heard.
- Move the monitor in a circular motion.
- Keep patience as a fetal heartbeat is very faint, and you may miss the sound. If you do not detect heartbeat the first time, you can try again in a couple of days.
Remember, using a Doppler is not a substitute for your prenatal visit with your healthcare practitioner.
With the above information, you must have an idea as to how useful a Doppler is and provides such a great comfort to know that your baby is progressing well in your belly.